One victim was burned in an explosion at 260 Gardnertown Road in the Town of Newburgh early yesterday evening.
The Cronomer Valley Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire with an explosion at the 4-bedroom house located between Cronomer Hill Park and the Town of Newburgh Police Department. When the incident commander arrived on scene, he confirmed an explosion occurred and discovered a burn victim.
Town of Newburgh EMS rushed to the scene and transported the victim to St. Luke’s Hospital in Newburgh. The patient was then reportedly transferred to the burn unit at Westchester County Medical Center.
The incident commander also reported a small fire secondary to the explosion. He transmitted a second alarm, summonsing one engine from the Good-Will Fire Department and a full response from the Plattekill Fire Department to the scene. The Middlehope Fire Department stood by to cover any additional calls in Cronomer Valley.
Ten minutes into the incident, the incident commander learned there was major structural damage to the house due to a reported dryer explosion. Fire investigators, a building inspector, and Central Hudson were called to the scene. The investigation remains underway.